Saturday 27 October 2012

{Mini Post} Quick Coffee Cupcakes



Not many people in this world enjoy a coffee cupcake. I do and so does my bestie, Practical Tallulah (aka Victoria.) So when we planned a catch up involving cake I wasted no time in indulging in one of our favourties!

Once again BBC Good Food came to the rescue with the below recipe. As I was just whipping them up after work, I didn't have time to make a layer cake so I made it in cupcake form and so have adjusted the method as required!

Ingredients: 

For the cake:
- 150g caster sugar 
- 150g butter or margarine 
- 3 eggs 
- 150g self raising flour 
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder 
- 1 tbsp hot water 
- 1 tbsp instant coffee (add more if you like it strong)

For the icing: 
- 225g icing sugar  (I altered this as I have come to enjoy my own buttercream recipe - use
  half the amount of butter that there is icing sugar, so 200g icing sugar, 100g butter)
- 100g butter or margarine 
- 1 1/2 tbsp instant coffee 
- 1 tbsp hot water

Method: 
- Preheat the oven at 160C, 325 F,gas 3. Line a baking tin with cupcake cases. 
- Add the sugar and the butter to a bowl and whisk until very fluffy and a pale cream,
- Whisk the eggs with a fork and then add them gradually to the mixture with 1 tbsp of 
  flour each time. Make sure you don't use all the flour. 
- Dissolve the coffee in the boiling water and add to the mixture
- Add the rest of the flour and the baking powder to the mixture and fold it in gently. 
- Divide into the cake cases and cook for 18-20 minutes
- Meanwhile Cream the butter and the icing sugar until light and fluffy. Dissolve the  
  coffee in boiling water, making sure you don't add too much water or the icing will be 
  runny and add it to the butter and icing sugar. Whisk and leave in the fridge until the 
  cake is done. 
- DECORATE! I just spread a thin layer of buttercream onto the cupcakes - just enough so 
  the coffee wasn't too overpowering. I then, to please everyone, left some plain, 
  crumbled some walnuts on some, flicked chocolate over some, used walnuts and 
  chocolate! Spoiled for choice!

We muchly enjoyed them! (We had 1 1/2 - less fatty than having 2 each.) Tallulah 2 went home with a plate and my brother even had 2 when he got in from work. 

I hear a coffee revolution coming on...! ;)




No comments:

Post a Comment